Saturday, May 24, 2008

Portishead - Incredible artistry...but who is it supposed to reach

About a year ago, a good friend of mine turned me on to Portishead. I had heard about them but never heard the music. I was instantly impressed. Their music skill, technical acumen and creative innovation were undeniable.

In April, the group released it's long awaited third album (aptly named "Third") which you can hear in its entirety on imeem.

I've been listening the album repeatedly. Now, normally, I like music that has commercial appeal. I'm not really into niche music created for special people who "get it". And this is not a "commercial appeal group" by any stretch. But, surprisingly, I really like it.

After some thought and numerous listens I came to the conclusion that I like them because I can appreciate them as a musician and producer. Even though they don't make standard radio playable songs, you can tell that they clearly could if they wanted to. They understand dance, hip hop and all the popular genres. However they choose to use this knowledge to create something totally different, something original, something artistic.

So the question is... who will Portishead reach? By spurning the traditions of commercial music, there are literally millions of people who will never hear of them. I can appreciate them because, as a producer, I happen to be in the class of those who "get it". But so many won't care about the intricate details of their musical production. Nor will they appreciate the way they seamlessly transition from one genre to another mid-song. No, most won't even stick around long enough past the 2 minute intro before the really cool groove kicks in (Check out The Rip below).

Still, is this just art for arts sake? Or can their art still inspire and affect people even if it's a smaller audience. If musicians are the only ones who get it, maybe one of those musicians will be inspired to create something that changes the world? What do you think?

4 The Rip - Portishead

No comments: