Sunday, April 13, 2008

My formula for creating Powerful, Compelling Art

So I've given this a lot of thought and I've come up with my own formula for creating a work of art that effectively affects people. (I really like using those two words together :)

Anyway, I think truly powerful art contains an equal portion of both Skillful Technique and Connecting Message. Yeah, that may be a simple formula but I think it's complete nonetheless.

If an artist creates a work that evokes a strong emotion or conveys a message that speaks directly to us; and if they do that while demonstrating a mastery of their craft, we are more likely to be moved deeply.

Many times you can create art that is more concerned with one of the components than the other. For example, an artist can paint a incredibly realistic basket of fruit. While doing so they can demonstrate mastery of lighting and depth and texture and attention to detail. But, regardless of the realism, the overall impact of the painting itself will be limited (although the technique alone will probably be inspiration for other artists).

On the flip side, an author can create a novel that contains a powerful vision for the future of our country. But, if the writing is poor or lacking in style, who will read it?

So my theory is that most art contains some uneven amount of both factors. But, the truly great ones that impact their times and settings, are the ones that contain the right balance of both message and technique.

I think this applies to all art forms: music composition, paintings, sculpture, film making, etc.

What do you think? Do you agree?

Over the next few posts, I going to try and find examples in various art forms that prove this. If you have some suggestions (or if you disagree) let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eric,

I like your blog. I followed your link back from my site. Looking forward to reading more and adding value to your conversations..